Working in Hong Kong

Professionals with special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong, and business people who can make substantial contributions to Hong Kong's economy are welcome to work in Hong Kong. Persons coming to work in Hong Kong are required to obtain an appropriate visa or entry permit before arrival. Click here for general information on working in Hong Kong.

Entry for Employment as Professionals in Hong Kong

Click here to learn more about admission schemes for talent, professionals and entrepreneurs.

Quality Migrant Admission Scheme

The Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS) aims to attract talented people from the Mainland and overseas to develop their careers in Hong Kong. Under this Scheme, applicants do not need to acquire an offer of local employment beforehand. They may bring in their spouse, as well as unmarried dependent children to Hong Kong.

Assessment will be made under a quota-based point-scoring scheme, with bonus points for graduates of internationally renowned universities, persons meeting the specifications of the respective profession under the Talent List, and persons with international work experience, etc.
Learn more about the QMAS and how to make an application here.

Working Holiday Scheme

Through participating in the scheme, young Japanese aged between 18 and 30 can visit Hong Kong for holiday and as part of their stay, take up short-term employment so as to acquire a better understanding of the cultural and social developments of the city.

The Hong Kong/Japan Working Holiday Scheme was established on 1 January 2010, with both sides currently providing an annual quota of 1,500. Participants of the Scheme should not work for the same employer for more than six months during their stay in Hong Kong. They may enrol in any number of study or training courses of which the cumulative duration should not be more than six months. More information can be found here.

Last Updated: September 14, 2021

▲ Page top